Crock pot pulled pork

My sis loves top-notch mexican food, so i wasn't surprised to see one of her first recipes on our blog was for crock pot pulled pork tacos (yum!) and while I also love mexican food, my mainstays tend to be comfort food (see: mac&cheese, donuts). I could eat pulled pork all day every day, but unfortunately, small brooklyn apartments aren't made for smoking pigs ...

The crock pot version does just fine and luckily, my sis bought me a fancy one after mine died in an unfortunate gnocchi party incident. I don't want to talk about it.

This is definitely the laaaaazy man's version. I doubled the recipe below (oops) and ended up having to invite friends over to help eat all the meat!

IMG_1525

Crock Pot Pulled Pork

3-4 lb. Boston Butt (pork shoulder)
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper
BBQ sauce (I used Stubb's... but you can make your own if you wanna be fancy.)

Trim fat off pork and season with salt and pepper. Place in crock pot and pour vinegar evenly on pork. Cook on low for 12 hours. Remove pork, discard liquid and any big fatty chunks you see in there. At this point, the pork should fall apart when you hit it with a fork. Gradually add bbq sauce and mix. There should be enough sauce to coat the meat, but not so much that it's swimming in it.

For sandwiches, I like to toast some nice fluffy white buns, spread a little butter on them, add cole slaw, pickles and some extra sauce! And of course LOTS of meat.


Comments

  1. So weird - I pinged you early this morning to see if we were keeping this blog alive. thanks for having sister ESP and doing it!

    i am going to try that pork recipe... also pork shoulder has the fat more marbleized and pork butt has the fat on the outside (naturally!), so although it's essentially the same cut, the butt is easier to remove the fat! fun tip from my local butcher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I woke up this morning and felt bad about the blog being dormant! That's just eerie. i'll try not to be such a bad sisterblogger.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts