Coconut, Shrimp, and Corn Chowder

This summer has been ridiculously hot, so I've been waiting for one of those stormy summer nights so I could try this summer chowder recipe from Real Simple.  We ALMOST had one the other night, but turns out that even in the heat, this chowder was husband approved and rated MAKE AGAIN SOON.  Serves 4 (or 2 Ferrante's).

This recipe is very quick and easy (just how I like them).  And I like the idea of using coconut milk and chicken broth instead of heavy cream.



Ingredients
1 T olive oil
1-2 medium yellow onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped (I used 3)
1 1/2 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, 1/2 inch dice
3 cups corn (6 ears or 16 oz. frozen)
1 13.5 oz can of unsweetened coconut milk
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 lb medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined


Directions
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, and cook the onions until softened (3 min).
- Add garlic, potatoes, and corn, and stir to coat.  Then add liquids and spices.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until tender (about 15 min).
- Add shrimp (I left the tails on, and next time will be cutting them off.  Easier to shovel it in.)  Cook until shrimp are pink and cooked through, about 3 minutes.

I added hot sauce, but next time might cook with Thai chilies and then remove before serving.

Comments

  1. That looks amazing!! Must try this.
    Except it's been so humid in NY that I can't imagine eating anything that doesn't come out of a Ben & Jerry's tub.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds super good. My new favorite flavor to experiment with is coconut so, YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, 4 months later I finally made it :) and DELICIOUS.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts